So here's my final list (as of the end of 2011). Course, it will change and alter as I read more, but ultimately, the good ones will stick, more people will recommend them, more people will read them and more often than not Hollywood will murder them. I say that only so that you do not judge me harshly on my number 1 book if you've only ever seen it's predecessor's film version... *shudder*
My Top Ten Books
- The Subtle Knife (of His Dark Materials Trilogy) - Phillip Pullman
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix - JK Rowling
- Hannibal - Thomas Harris
- The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Dreamcatcher - Stephen King
- Good Omens - Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaimon
- Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- The Road - Cormac McCarthy
- The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet
- The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
By the way, there have been SO MANY books I have been disappointed by due to hype. Don't think that because it's famous, it's good. In fact... here's my list of "famous" books I would recommend you avoid (if your own top ten looks anything like mine, you may find you agree) And yes, I have read them all.
- Angels and Demons and actually, The Da Vinci Code too if you like actual good writing, though I'll give it reprieve because it was minutely original at the time.
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo et al - The whole series is boring and long and, just why?
- Hannibal Rising (and man, wasn't this one a stake through the heart considering number 3 of my top ten list...)
- The Twilight Saga just no.
- Sabriel - I really didn't get this entire series. So many people love it. Guess the author just isn't my style.
- The Lovely Bones - zzzzzz. It had (kind of) ghosts in it and I didnt finish it. That's all you need to know.